I admit, I am jumping on the bandwagon of new year’s resolution blog posts. Finding time to finish writing and posting about all of our trips is high on my list this year! So here it is, a challenge for you to add something that I’m sure many moms and dads have considered, and perhaps dismissed….travel more with your children. I know what some of you moms (and dads) might be thinking, a trip to the grocery store without kids can feel like a vacation, so why would traveling WITH kids to a foreign country be fun?! It’s a feat in itself just to pack them up to take them to the park or the library for an hour let alone a one to three week vacation overseas! But here me out, the hassles you will face when traveling with your kids are not really any more difficult than if you stayed at home with them today. So why not get out and experience something new! Here are a few reason to try to convince you that it’s worth the perceived hassle to pack those bags up and hit the jetways.
1. You will create life-long learners and explorers.
2. Traveling sparks curiosity and wonder, traits that can spill over into learning about new things in school.
3. They develop a unique awareness of other cultures that can allow them to explore new ways of thinking.
4. It provides an opportunity for them to learn how to behave in different social settings.
5. Because watching your child(ren) interact on the playground with other children speaking 2-10 different languages reminds us that laughter is the universal language!
6. Long train and airplane rides give you a chance to have all of those conversations you mean to have with your kids that life often gets in the way of letting you have.
7. Seeing how other people live, whether in worse or better conditions than their own, shows children how people can be happy in many different lifestyles.
8. Interesting and unique travel scenarios (good and bad!) strengthen the bond between family members.
9. Because Venice could sink before you get to see it! Seriously!
But on a very serious note, one of my favorite reasons for traveling with my kids is that…
10. Your children will teach you more new things on a trip about their abilities and character (and your own!) than you ever imagined.
So break out that Atlas, spin that globe or simple stay tuned to my blog and start planning your next (or first) big adventure abroad with your little ones!